Some fresh ideas generated from discussion board

I participated several topics on the discussion board of this week. I noticed that the most posted topic is the "Intellectual property concerns." I guess, more or less, people have faced the concerns brought by the intellectual property. And so did I, then I decided to join this discussion as well. This forum topic helped me to generate some fresh ideas.

Yihan Zheng, she brought the "Plagiarism" concept into the discussion and also presented a viewpoint that the emphasis on the intellectual property is different between China and USA. I think this point of view is fascinating. I replied to the Yihan's post about my opinion. Just like John Mitchell, Stanford Computer Scientist and Vice Provost for Online Learning, emphasized: “If someone else wants to read some of my ideas or the outline of my course, that’s fine with me. But I don’t want them to copy it and claim it as their work. I think that whenever there is material on the web, you have this issue of plagiarism. We are interested in making sure that people get appropriate credit, and that things are not stolen or not credited.” I agreed with what he said, and also believe China has the similar standards to manage this issue. I think the primary cause of this problem is the popularization and applications of "Learning Management System" and "Plagiarism Check Softwares." 

Besides "Plagiarism" issues, our classmate Mallory Thompson raised another concern which employers may steal from portfolio work. As an ISLT student, I think all of us will adequately prepare a portfolio which includes a lot of works and projects.  No one wants other people to copy them or claim them as their work. I also replied to Mallory's post with some of my ideas. But as a future instructional designer, I think how to use legal approach to protect our works is another project for us. 

Please comment below and let me know what do you think:)

Comments

  1. I completely missed Mallory's comment about employer's stealing portfolio work -that's a bit terrifying! My biggest concern with intellectual property in education is that, because education is viewed as best for the interests of all, sometimes content creators are not adequately compensated for the materials they write and create. Do you believe this is an issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that is an issue. We can talk about education fair or equity, but that doesn't mean content creator should not get reasonable compensated for their works.
      On the contrary, I think as long as the content creator revived fair paid, they can create the high-quality materials, so the interests of all public could be maximized. But if people only chanted slogans about education equity or free open resources and charged for high-quality educational resources. It will bring the bigger problem.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th of July, Nationalism and Social Media

Begin “Blog Story”

Protect your Personal Property is important in Web 2.0 era!