4th of July, Nationalism and Social Media

I went to the Aaron Bessant Park, Panama City yesterday for the so called the greatest 4th of July firework show in the gulf coast area. The Aaron Bessant Park was decorated with flags, banners, and other decorations embedded with the elements of national flag's colors. People who joined this great celebration equipped with national flag colors' face painting, national elements' cloth, national elements' garniture, and, of course, their smartphone.

From two hours before Panama City Firework Show until the party was over. People kept twittering, posting pictures on Instagram, texting on the Facebook, sending messages, and hosting live stream. No matter what they were doing, there was only one topic that is "4th of July".

I noticed that people were creating a magnificent carnival embedded with nationalism at social media in that 3 hours firework show party. Whenever and wherever you are, with your phone or other appliance which is online available; as long as your friends or family members who they public contents about this spectacular event, you were part of it.

There is no need for nationalist leaders, leaders, headquarters to produce nationalist propaganda. People who post pictures, videos, and texts with the country elements and symbols in their social media has become a participant of the national mega event and also become a volunteer protagonist for his country.

As we all know, the nation is imagined because its member will never meet the rest of their fellows. However, with the development of social media, it provides the possibility and accessibility that people could easily share their interests to find each other, connect with each other, and befriend with each other. No matter how the process happened in the real world or virtual network, it brings the nation to us more closely than ever before. And I believe, the Panama City Firework social media carnival is a good example of this phenomenon.

There is no doubt that social media has become an asset to nationalist mobilization in our age. In spite of the stunning display of fireworks light up the sky, my heart was deeply shocked by this social media nationalism carnival.

Comments

  1. Hi, Johnny!

    Thank you for you post on unity. It's nice to see a sense of community forming around a certain event through social media. Most of the news stories have been so entangled in political debates that it's refreshing to see someone offer a different perspective. I normally have positive experiences, too, and I think you captured that very well in your post.

    Have you spent much time in Panama City? I grew up there, but moved a way about 20 years ago. They've put a lot into community events, so I'm glad you shared this.

    Take care,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mellissa,

      Thank you for your comment! I spent a great time in Panama City yesterday!

      I don't think that i know enough yet in life to be able to write about some political debate contents to influence people around me. But I think I am able to post something to make people rethink about a thing/phenomenon from different perspectives. I posted this blog because the social media spectacle last night shocked me. I saw people gather together to celebrate the birth of this country, it really touched me.

      I'm so glad you that you like my post!

      Take care,
      Johnny

      Delete
  2. I guess that is why I did not see any live shows on TV about the national day yesterday. ;) Social media takes place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, maybe! I saw a lot of people around me are hosting live stream of firework show on Facebook.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What a Wonderful Summer

Begin “Blog Story”