Protect your Personal Property is important in Web 2.0 era!

I know this week we should focus on intellectual property. But some bad news happened in my friends prompted me to write this blog. I know the intellectual property is important in Web 2.0 era, but I want to say so your personal property is more important!

We are all aware that Facebook, Craigslist, Oodle, etc. are platforms where you can buy and sell junk, find free stuff, post your yard sale ads and so on. Maybe those platforms look like can bring you a lot of convenient and sure they did, but those platforms can also bring hidden danger to you.

My friend was robbed in his apartment this morning. The criminal shoved a handgun to his head, ordered him to hand over his MacBook and PS4. When he told me his news, I was shocked in front of my laptop which showed the websites I just browsed.

I asked him about the reason why and how the criminal can get his apartment and property information. He told me, he was trying to sell some stuff he does not want any longer. All his stuff information, residence information, and even contact information were published online. The criminal disguised himself as a kind buyer trying to buy stuff from my friend. When the suspect came into my friend' apartment, the tragedy happened.

Indeed, with the rapid development of the modern technology and internet, we are enjoying the convenient brought by the web 2.0. But every coin has two sides; we should dialectically treat it. My friend' case just a little example of many tragedies caused by web 2.0 may happen every minute around the world.

Intellectual property may very important to us, but compare to our personal property, we should focus more on the latter.

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that! Personal information should never be published online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! But some people just too careless. And sometimes we accidentally leaked our information online with on scene. I guess we should learn about how to protect our information in the web 2.0 era.

      Delete
    2. Wow Jiazhou I'm sorry this happened to your friend! I hope he is ok. Yes, whenever I post anything for sale on craigslist or ebay for pick up only I NEVER put my personal information for this exact reason. I use the default craigslist/ebay email system that keeps my email private and then when I have a buyer, that is when I say where they can pick up. That way there is a "paper" trail. Even then, whenever I can, I chose a location other than my house (like a walgreens, or a gas station). Somewhere public where there are cameras and other people. It's unfortunate that we can't trust each other, but better safe than sorry.

      Delete
    3. Hey hey!!! Thank you for stopping by my blog and your suggestions sharing! I tried to sell something on the Craigslist before, but I just feel the default email system is not effectiveness. I would love to sell some stuff on FB's groups, that would be more effectiveness but less privacy. I guess this is the two sides of everything~

      Delete
  2. Wow! that is horrible, thank goodness your friend is alright. The flaw of data online is exactly that, just how open does one want to be, and what risks come of it. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, even if you aren't actively posting information of your whereabouts, you may be subconsciously doing so on social network sites, or through its automated features. It is truly a bummer checking off each privacy thing on each app you have, but it can be useful (of course unless the government or app your are using automatically takes it anyway because of terms of service, but that is another story).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th of July, Nationalism and Social Media

What a Wonderful Summer

Begin “Blog Story”