Design course with Edmodo

Discovered Edmodo

The largest, fastest growing social platform for education

I discovered the week 4 folder yesterday and found a new Learning Management System - Edmodo. I know most of us may be more familiar with Blackboard LMS or Canvas LMS. And so do I, this is the first time I heard about this LMS.

Actually, I'm really interested in the LMS. I didn't have much experience with LMS before I joined the master program two years ago at FSU. Besides that, as we may know, FSU start to use a new LMS Canvas to replace the old one - blackboard. I think this is a great opportunity for me to experience the joys of being an online instructor. I always want to try the teacher's version of Blackboard, but I didn't get a chance to be a TA. So I decide to use Edmodo to design my own course for this week's knowledge sharing/Tracking project.

Yes, Edmodo is not a very traditional LMS. It positioned itself as a social platform. The home paper has a little bit familiar with the old Twitter page. All the posts are presented dynamically on the home page. Users can like, reply, share and follow the posts. I do like this design, it breaks the barrier between teacher to students and students to students. Also, it brings more joys to the users.

Some Personal Thoughts

Florida ranked in the third place of most users in the Edmodo

Did Florida really have so many users in the Edmodo? My personal feeling is probably wrong, but I think it is tough for me to find people to connect with here. I am trying to invite "strangers" to join my classes, but there are just a few individuals that  I can send my invitations to. Of course, all of them are k-12 teachers. I am actually wondering if higher education will use this LMS or not?

Edmodo may not have great feathers like Blackboard or Canvas, but the best thing to use Edmodo is everyone can use it without permission or license. I also like the poll feather in the Edmodo, it gives the instructors a way to obtain their student's preferences. I hope Blackboard and Canvas could introduce this feature to their LMS. So the teacher's can post some polls at the LMS to gain the feedbacks, then adjust and refine their teaching and instructional strategies during the whole semester. 

Since Edmodo claimed it is the largest, fastest growing social platform for education. I am wondering if the volume of the user is really limit or very small, how the social function could be implemented? The most important component of social is the people, I think if the population size can not be achieved, the social feature is meaningless.

Join my class


If you want to try Edmodo and also see what I created at Edmodo. Welcome to join my "Facility Management" Class with code 5828qx. If you have any difficulty to join my class, please feel free to send me the message through Twitter, email, blog comment or anywhere you can reach out to me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4th of July, Nationalism and Social Media

Begin “Blog Story”

Protect your Personal Property is important in Web 2.0 era!