How I feel about IFTTT

I found IFTTT at the week 5 tool resources folder. Instructor suggests us to write a blog to share the experience with IFTTT. So, here is how I feel about IFTTT.

IFTTT is a web-based application and also an app can run on ios and Andrew platform that allowed people to create chains of simple conditional statements which called applets. An applet is triggered by changes that occur within other web services such as Gmail, Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest. IFTTT is an initialism for If This Then That.

Before I tried IFTTT, I actually used another similar function app on my iPhone for a long time, which it called "Workflow". So if you enjoy your experience with IFTTT so far. I highly recommend you to play with "Workflow" on your iPhone, because "Workflow" will brings a new experience to you.


To be honest, I think I like IFTTT a litter bit more for several reasons.

First of all, with IFTTT, I set up my “recipes” to run automatically without even thinking about checking them or launching them. I added several applets to my IFTTT. IFTTT will notify me to turn off wifi when I leaving work or leaving home. So I never have to go back into the app again for this to happen.


Secondly, IFTTT integrates with more third-party services. That means IFTTT provides me a lot of opportunities to make my life easier and high-efficient. I think the reason why IFTTT has more choices because it is originally a web-based application, but workflow only focuses on the smart mobile devices.

Third, IFTTT is way much easier to use than Workflow. It is easier to play with Workflow if you have some basic programming skills. In the Workflow, you should know how to play with "variable" and fancy languages if you want to make your Workflow stronger. In the IFTTT, you don't need to worried about these questions.

But IFTTT focuses on just two things with every recipe I made, the “this” and the “that”. This is useful and allows for a wide variety of automated tasks, but essentially limits it to completing one major task per recipe.


If you find any interesting IFTTT applet, please leave your comments to let me know!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I checked it out and it's a very cool tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Johnny! Thanks for posting. I've used IFTTT for years now. It's definitely a great tool, especially for behind the scenes work. For example, every time I get a receipt in my gmail, IFTTT automatically places it in a google drive spreadsheet. This and many more recipes have already been created by other IFTTT users so they're easy to set up. With that said I've offloaded a lot of the functionalities I once used IFTTT for onto a local app on my phone. This makes it possible to perform tasks without needing to be connected to IFTTT all of the time. Either way it's a useful app. I wonder how we can incorporate it into formal/informal web 2.0 learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnny, thanks for sharing. Your blog helped me understand this tool a little better. It is still a little confusing for me, as I am a part of Gen X, not a Millennial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I played around with IFTTT this week and am super excited about the capabilities and the tasks I have set up. Are there any concerns though about giving it access to so many of the social media tools that we use?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th of July, Nationalism and Social Media

Protect your Personal Property is important in Web 2.0 era!

Begin “Blog Story”