Reflection of Produsage

I wrote my first blog here two days ago about my earliest experience with the blog in China. Like what I mentioned in my first blog, people in our community gradually found our blog, found our posts, set up their blogs, and began to leave comments. My mom and I started to read and reply to these comments. The conversation developed, the relationship developed and even more developed. We did not realize that we became a consumer as well as producer, at that time.

"Produsage" was a new word to me; I even cannot find a Chinese translation in the online dictionary. After wiki the word, I realized that "Produsage" is a portmanteau of the words production and usage, coined by Australian media scholar Axel Bruns and popularized in his book Blogs, Wikipedia, Second Life and Beyond: From Production to Produsage. 

I know "Produsage" looks like simple on the surface, but it offers people the opportunity to be part of the media they consume. But every coin has two sides, I found some interesting related notions in the process of searching "Produsage."

"Attention economics" is one of the most interest concepts to me. Attention economics is an approach to the management of information that treats human attention as a scarce commodity and applies economic theory to solve various information management problems. Put simply by Matthew Crawford, "Attention is a resource—a person has only so much of it."

Attention economics has been paid attention to because it is widely spread in the field of education and brings contaminating and the huge influence on students in our age. Attention is used to filter out the most important information by the human brain from a large pool of information surrounding the human in the digital age. As a future instructional designer and a produsager, I wonder what it means for the uses of "attention economics" notion within education? For encouraging students to become producers as part of knowledge in the digital age?

I would love to discuss more with you guys about these notions and topics, please leave your comments and your thoughts here.

Comments

  1. You will learn about that a lot in Dr. Klein's class ;) Simply put, short-term memory is short. Grab learners'/users' attention via clever design, so that the most important info will be selected by the viewer. After some practice, the info will go into long-term memory. Haha, may wanna check Gagne's nine events and some design principles, if you like. Dr. Klein's class is much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beneficial information, you totally grabbed my attention! Haha, so btw which class does he teach?

      Delete
  2. Really cool stuff on attention economics, but it does make sense. We want to see things that grab at us. companies and government are doing their best to really push products and explain as brief as possible why we should check this out, or interact or comment. Even in gaming we have our attention dropoff, where a game might be "Flavor of the week" but then its' community starts to die off rapidly when the NEXT BIG THING comes out. Really interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4th of July, Nationalism and Social Media

Protect your Personal Property is important in Web 2.0 era!

How I feel about IFTTT